Health Care Again at Risk! A Vote May Take Place Tomorrow!
May 2, 2017
Despite overwhelming opposition and a failed attempt to pass a repeal and replacement to the Affordable Care Act (ACA) last month, Republicans in the House of Representatives are now working to get enough votes to pass this plan with an amendment.
This amendment, called the MacArthur/Meadows Amendment, makes a bad bill worse for low-income families in WNC.
This plan would not only force 24 million people to lose health insurance and cut $800 billion from Medicaid. It would also gut key protections for people with pre-existing conditions and allow insurers to charge more for less with health care plans that exclude coverage for critical life-saving services.
As the House works to get votes, NOW is the time to make your voice heard. Pisgah Legal Services will continue to monitor these proposed changes and advocate for our clients, serving as a voice for individuals without access to care and for those who stand to lose it.
If passed, this bill would implement a state waiver allowing insurers to:
• Charge people more for coverage based on their health status, pre-existing conditions or gender.
• Stop covering essential health benefits like regular checkups, prescription drug coverage, mental health and substance abuse treatment and maternity and newborn care.
• Roll healthcare access back to what it was pre-ACA when states lumped sick people into high-risk pools that imposed huge premiums and were discriminatory for women, LGBTQ people, people with pre-existing conditions and those struggling with substance abuse and mental health conditions.
What you can do:
• Contact members of your Congressional delegation in the House of Representatives and Senate and share your concerns about this bill.
• Encourage friends and family members with ACA coverage to make their voices heard in the deliberation process. Now is the time to speak up and advocate on behalf of your health care.