WNC Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Supply Chain Update
Last updated January 12, 2021
The disposable glove market continues to be strained due to increased demand, with increased prices coming this month. If your facility will be needing a lot of nitrile gloves (nitrile gloves are the most impacted, followed by latex and then vinyl), order as soon as possible to avoid price increases and shorter supplies predicted to happen later in January.
While the PPE supply chain has stabilized some in recent months, there are still several gaps that exist in needs in WNC, and additional shortages are anticipated. The cross-sector WNC COVID Supply Chain Workgroup* has identified several high-need PPE items that are currently in short supply:
- Nitrile/food service gloves
- Medical gloves, particularly in size S and XL. Prices are going up.
- Face Masks. Price increases with domestic production.
- Isolation Gowns. Price increases with domestic production.
- Face Shields
- Anticipated significant shortage of needles and syringes due to flu shots
- Worldwide shortage of surface wipes with price gouging
- N-95s are still limited
You may continue to request PPE and other COVID supplies through the NCDHHS Request Forms.
If you are unable to source PPE through your vendor or NCDHHS, we recommend the following options:
- Mind Your Business is offering competitive pricing for local orders. Access the order form here.
- The North Carolina Medical Society is offering NC physicians the opportunity to obtain PPE. Learn more here.
- Stockd Website (courtesy of Capstone Health Alliance**)
- North Carolina Healthcare Association also has several PPE sourcing options. Learn more here.
- Thanks to the NCMS’ partnership with ActionPPE group purchasing, you may shop for and order a variety of PPE at this webpage, including N95’s, masks, gloves, gowns and face shields.
Please check back monthly for updates on sourcing PPE and other COVID supplies from local vendors.
*Partners include: Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, Asheville Buncombe Community Christian Ministry, Buncombe County EMS, Dogwood Health Trust, Eagle Market Streets Development Corporation, Economic Development Partnership of NC, High Country Council, Isothermal Planning & Development Commission, Land of Sky Regional Council, Mountain Area Health Education Center, Mountain Area Health Preparedness Coalition, Mountain BizWorks, NC Outdoor Recreation Coalition, Status Forward, Supply Connector, Southwestern Commission, Western Carolina Medical Society, and Western Piedmont Council of Governments.
**Capstone Health Alliance receives a small percentage from purchases made through this link.